Writing tip - How I approach dream sequences

Discussion and sharing of resources of any kind for any medium. Please check the rules for limits on what can be posted.
DAE avatar
Title: Menace
Pronouns: any

Writing tip - How I approach dream sequences

Post by Llewellyn » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:47 pm

If the uploaded images don't work, you can find the same info on a thread on my Twitter/X: https://twitter.com/LlewellynAYSS/statu ... 7680725425

I created this very brief breakdown because I get asked a bit how I set up nightmares, so here is how I approach making these sorts of scenes for my own comic! I hope this is helpful or inspirational to some!
Understanding your character is key.
You can personalize sequences to fit their themes, fears & personalities.
ImageImage
Don't get distracted or intimidated just because it's not the same setting you are used to!
If you know WHAT the reasoning for the scene is, you can focus on how to convey it.
ImageImage
Try something new!
Experiment and take inspiration from weird places even if it's totally different than your norm!
And not just with the art, try something different with your paneling, lettering & affects you use.
I would say go wild honestly~ I prefer to not use any traditional panels with edges/boxes & just work seamlessly in these sequences.
It'll look & feel different at first, but that's okay!
It's not the same space as the rest of the comic and there's no real "rules" like real spaces have!
If you do it enough eventually you'll find your own dreamscape style too~
Shameless plug, if this was helpful or you just like the art, consider giving a follow and reading on any of these platforms~

Site Admin
Title: Huh?
Pronouns: he/they

Re: Writing tip - How I approach dream sequences

Post by undeadorion » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:10 am

Wowie! Amazing tips and wonderful graphics to go along with it! Thanks for sharing!

Here's a bit of a dream sequence I did, sometime ago, for a character who feels like his life is falling apart and out of his control.
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 1.13.39 AM.png

DAE avatar
Title: Menace
Pronouns: any

Re: Writing tip - How I approach dream sequences

Post by Llewellyn » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:59 pm

This is gorgeous! Looks like you have a great grasp on it already :P The fragmented panel boxes absolutely push that mood hard! Love it~
undeadorion wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:10 am Wowie! Amazing tips and wonderful graphics to go along with it! Thanks for sharing!

Here's a bit of a dream sequence I did, sometime ago, for a character who feels like his life is falling apart and out of his control.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 1.13.39 AM.png